Home to Fort MacArthur, it has since been decommissioned but is still active as housing and administrative for the Air Force. There are many homes for civilians in this area. This section resides east of Gaffey Street, south of West 21st Street and South Crescent Avenue, North of the Ocean and west of the Los Angeles Harbor. Near the South Western area of Point Fermin is Point Fermin Elementary School. A very historic piece of San Pedro resides in Point Fermin, the Lighthouse. Originally built in 1874, the first navigation light into San Pedro Bay began safely guiding boats. The Lighthouse’s light was manned by Lighthouse Keepers from 1874 through 1941. While from 1927 until 1941 the light was electrified by the city until Pearl Harbor. The entire coast was blacked out for fear of being a beacon to enemy ships and planes. After 1941’s shutdown it was never active again. In 1972 two devoted citizens raised funds and replaced the lantern room and the lighthouse to its’ original glory for the 100th Anniversary. This caused the lighthouse to be placed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 2002 the light was restored, retrofitted and rehabilitated for public access. In 2003, the lighthouse was opened to the public and is now managed by the Department of Recreation and parks for the City of Los Angeles.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.